Another month has come and gone and May is just a memory now as we get ready to launch into summer. True to form, May at our house was filled with May-hem with all the end-of-school field trips and activities! Add birthdays and Mom’s Day and you have a month moving at warp speed. PJ’s photo blogging theme this month was Spring….so spring is what you get today.
1. The Dog Days….of Spring? The phrase is, of course, the dog days of summer but in our yard, spring is a welcome site for the puppers. Itchy undercoats need to be loosened in the greened up grass, holes need to be dug in the mud and sticks need to be chewed. The work never ends.
2. Heave-scent. I knew the instant my dwarf lilacs were blooming in the front yard. When they’re in full regalia, I can smell them clear in the back of the house! Next to hyacinths, I’m not sure there’s a better spring scent.
3. We got the garden in on time this year and watched it explode out of the ground. This row is kohlrabi and beets. The corn and beans are up. The tomatoes and peppers survived some pretty chilly nights and the okra is starting to push through in anticipation of the summer heat.
4. Bunches of Broccoli. Along with what was mentioned above, we set out eight broccoli and eight cauliflower plants. All the main broccoli heads are done and either eaten or in the freezer. The cauliflower is running a close second.
5. School’s Out!! Without any snow days this year, school got out before June 1st so it still counts as Spring. Peanut successfully finished kindergarten and got an A in attitude as you can tell from this last-day-of-school photo capture.
That’s my five for the month! Spring on over to PJ’s to see what sprung with everyone else.